Re: [gardeners] re: Dumb Question now New House

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 15:26:53 +0000

Rosemary Carlson <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:

> Everyone - beware. Lots and LOTS of folks out
> there don't WANT perennial gardens in their yard. Too much maintenance. I
> think that having the rose and perennial gardens are making my house HARDER
> to sell. A shame.

I've investigated this because I'm going to be selling in 3 or so
years.  I am completely changing my gardens over the next 12 months
because of it and because I'm going to have much more limited leisure
time shortly.

It's not that people don't want perennial gardens -- they do.  They
just want no upkeep.  Fine.  I am taking out all the bulbs and
putting down landscape fabric.  I'm planting mostly hardy, own root
roses that require no care.  Rounding things out will be easy care
perennials that work well as rose underplantings -- things like
dianthus, snow in summer, caryopteris, catmints, thymes etc.  There
will be one bed that is not rose based and that will contain
relatively large herbs.

I've talked to several real estate agents in the area who tell me
that this sort of landscaping helps sell houses here.  Don't know
about other parts of the country.

Liz