RE: [gardeners] Rosemary's house

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 05 Oct 1998 06:12:04 -0600

At 06:10 PM 10/4/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, OK. Today was open house. I, of course, was not here - so I'm rather
>clueless as to what happened. 10-15 different groups of people came through
>- 2 of which were neighbors (which makes me mad - nosy!).  However, my
>neighbors (whose house is also up for sale) just sold their house for $4K
>less than they should have because they had to sell quick. This, obviously,
>is not good news for me. So, I lowered my price by $2K - and the agent
>feels quite confident an offer will be forthcoming at this price relatively
>soon. I hope he's right - he knows that I'm the wrong person to try to
>"pacify" - so, chances are, he truly feels like this or he wouldn't say so.
>:) :)
>
>At any rate, I don't even feel like this is MY house anymore. Jeez. I do
>believe that selling this house is one of the most stressful things I've
>ever done! (except divorce!).
>
>Here's the funny story. My neighbors sold their house (we're in a yuppie
>neighborhood and you'll see why this is funny if you read on!) cheaply to a
>guy who wanted a garage around back in the basement (their's is, mine is in
>the front). Supposedly, garages around back and in the basement aren't as
>desirable as front-facing garages...so the realtor (my neighbors and I have
>the same realtor) thought my house would sell first. Want to know WHY this
>guy (a single guy) wanted the neighbor's house with the garage in the back?
>Because he works on cars....and wants to hide them around back. :) :) :) :)
>
>I'm glad I'm moving! :)
>
>At any rate, getting READY for an open house is hell on earth. Especially
>for us packrats. However, NOW the house is ready and I hope I can KEEP it
>ready - in showable condition - until it sells. The one thing I CAN'T do is
>be gone when possible buyers come through. (I wish I could!) Since my
>mother is an invalid and lives with me, SHE can't be gone - so I can't be
>gone. But, I DO make myself scarce and I do NOT go through the house with
>the potential buyers. I go to the back patio with my dogs - and we sit
>there while people are here. Hope it doesn't get real cold soon! :)
>
>So, that's the next chapter of the saga of the trials and tribulations (of
>which there are many) of selling a house........I wish it on NO ONE. :)
>Once I DO sell this house and move to my new house, I SWEAR I will never
>move again. NEVER.
>
>At this point, I'm sure all of YOU wish I'd sell my house so I'd quit
>whining and complaining! :) But, thanks for your support! It's helped!
>
>Rosemary in Lexington, KY (not for long, I hope)
>zone 6a

I think added to these woes, Rosemary's university got whomped in a
football game last weekend.  Score something like 67 to zip.  The zip was
Morehouse State.  If she cares a rap.  I recall similar feelings when we
sold a house almost 30 years ago.  It's the people who use the bathroom,
thus "investing" in the septic tank, who'll buy for sure, Rosemary.  Then
they'll recarpet the house, a different color in each room.  Never go back.
 Margaret