Re: [gardeners] wildgarden list

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:06:44 +0000

Allen and Judy Merten <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:

> Hi Penny,
>     We usually use the hot pack method. Does the cold water make the
> beans stay crisper? Allen

I got a recipe from George last year -- it's the same recipe that's
in the current USDA booklet -- and used hot pack.  Believe me, my
beans are perfectly crisp.

I strongly recommend avoiding the hot red pepper flakes found in the
original recipe and using 3 red cayennes (or the equivalent) in each
pint instead.  In my experience it's fairly difficult to find high
quality pepper flakes.  The taste is much better with the cayennes
(or with serranos).  Also, I tried some green beans made with the
seasonings recommended for hot pickled okra and I think the beans
taste better prepared that way than they do with the traditional
dilly bean seasonings.

I bought a copy of the USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning from the
County Agent's office here last year.  It's paperback and spiral
bound, cost $10.  Well worth the money.  Some states offer it for
free.  The USDA has a nifty sausage publication that includes
directions for making your own el cheapo smoker, too.

Now if I can find a real cornichon recipe I'll be all set.

Liz