Re: [gardeners] Re: Mycorrhiza questions...

Thomas Giannou (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 14:29:38 -0700

Margaret,

This isn't a strict definition, but Mycorrhiza means "fungus of roots."  The
word Mycorrhiza is not in itself a fungi but describes a relationship
between fungi and plant root systems.  That relationship is mutually
benefitial to both plant and the fungi.  It is a symbiotic relationship in
which the fungi (speaking of VAM) can not exist separate from it's host
plant.  In fact, some would argue that the host plant "on its own" can not
exist separate from the fungi.  One noted European internet site (BEG) on
Mycorrhiza states, "The study of roots without mycorrhiza is a study of
artifacts."  VAM fungi go into the cells of a plants roots without
destroying the cells.  It is within the cell that the transfer of nutrients
takes place.  The plant gives the fungi carbohydrates to keep it alive and
the fungi transports into the plant the nutrients gathered from soil
components to help keep the plant alive.

If you can find it,  there is a book titled, "Mycorrhiza Symbiosis" which
gets into a lot of technical details about this subject.  All of the
mycologists point to that book as a primary resource and the most current
resource short of individual current published papers.  I believe the
current edition is a 2nd edition as of 1997.  I would give you the authors,
but someone has borrowed my copy.  It costs about $ 80.

Best Regards,
Thomas Giannou