Re: [gardeners] In the garden

Matt Trahan (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 22:31:21 -0500

>Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 06:38:44 -0500
>From: "Michael & Bambi Cantrell" <cantrell@onslowonline.net>
>Subject: Re: [gardeners] In the garden
>
>Hi Matt,
>
>I was thinking about you yesterday.  Are things well with you?

Hi Bambi,
 Yes, great, thanks for asking. :-)  Staying busy. I started a new job with
a commercial diving company 3 weeks ago. Love it. We have been working
anywhere from 8 hours to 14,16 hour days. Longest so far was from 7am
Sunday morning to 3am Monday morning. Most aren't that bad, they go through
a seasonal rush at the end of every fiscal year, when a lot of companies
and ships they serve have to use up their budgets. Things have been a lot
quieter since the second week in November.

 Sometimes it's just wet grunt labor, but most jobs have been interesting.
 We've installed fiber optic cable under the Intercoastal Waterway down by
Coinjock, N.C. Worked with various cofferdams on Navy ships up in Norfolk
and a few commercial ships. (a cofferdam is most often a flat metal plate
or box with rubber seals that gets placed against the hull underwater. It
allows for dry access/control below the waterline.)

 Part of what prompted this was losing a 3 day a week gardening client just
before the slow gardening season. One of the ladies up Surry Va. broke her
hip without health insurance. She had a comfortable cushion to work with
until that happened. At that point they needed to do without the gardener.
 I've been back once to say hi and do a few things, looking forward to
continuing going back on weekends as time permits. They've been some of my
favorite friends for 8 years here, as well as clients for the past few. I
already miss having their company on such a regular basis.

 At home Sue is doing well, she had another amatuer figure skating
competition and in one event she was first in her level. I drove my mother
inlaw and her friend up to watch and we all had a great time.

 We have 3 kittens I need to find homes for in a few weeks. They are 4
weeks old and getting cuter every day. Want one? :-)  Mama cat and her
older kitten are fine (got them from the dump, went to have her spayed and
found out she was already pregnant again) And the wonderdogs are spoiled as
ever.

 Brought all the tropicals in for the winter last week, just about have the
repotting and positioning wrapped up for another season. (Sue says none to
soon! ;-))
 I still have several gardening clients that will need some minor pruning,
etc. this winter, but I'm hoping with my new job, I might actually get a
chance to work in my own yard this winter! ;-)

Have fun and stay warm

Matt Trahan  <matttrahan@ecsu.campus.mci.net> or <garden@juno.com>
USDA zone 8, AHS heat zone 7, Sunset zone 31, northeastern N.C.