Re: [gardeners] Have you grown these?

coneh@uswest.net (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 02:12:29 -0800

Hi Liz,
You have an intriguing list of considerations thought I'd offer my thoughts
on the following:

The Chinese var.(OP) Pingtung eggplant is10-14"( long rather than
round)non-bitter and very tender,early and productive.

Epazote(Chenopodium Ambrosiodes)is a multiple use herbal,as a remedio for
the stomach in tea form,vermifuge,an ant repellent when leaves crushed and
placed in their path,as well as the  known culinary applications...For me it
reseeds faithfully every year,probably because I have never acquired a taste
for it, if only because the aroma off the green leaves is very much like
turpentine,maybe once cooked the flavor changes,ummm,maybe I'll give it try
this time around.Some folks say they are as addicted to it as some are to
cilantro,but then I'm not addicted to that either...As for seeding just cast
it about and press in keep moist til up and growing, then it will tolerate
pretty lengthy bouts of drought(mine is in mid to heavy shade,hasent slowed
it down at all.)

The cutting celery I grew came from a culinary source,Shepards I think it
was. I found it very strong to use in a raw/fresh state but in soups and
such it would save the time of cutting up celery instead.If you leave some
it will reseed itself and it is one of those cut and come again that is so
handy.Dried it would suffice all winter long..

Logee's carries Curry <Murraya koenigii>(E.Indian name =meethi neem)rather
attractive green leaved plant of compounded,pinnate form..Makes a nice
houseplant through the winter not especially fast growing,so it could be
sometime before you have an on going supply but fun just the same.
The leaves are fried in oil in preparation to making ones own curry mix..The
flavor remains well after drying as does the berries which are also edible.
Grind leaves after frying and just sprinkle on dishes of ones
choice,i.e.,yogurt,veggies,etc.Not necessary to make curry unless desired..

Yellow chives(gau wong) are blanched Allium tuberosm <syn>Chinese
chives,Chinese leek,Nira,Gow Chow  aka as Garlic chives..
Anybody else know differently,love to know .

Spices/ seeds,etc. you could easily grow at home could be:
Fennel
Coriander/cilantro
Cayenne Pepper
Saffron(Crocus)
Mustard seeds
Nigella
Cumin
Fenugreek
Anise seed
Bay leaf
Garlic
Chives
Dill
Lotus seed(hey,you wanted a water garden, now didnt you?)
Lastly this is IDAHO so you know you can grow your own LENTILS....
If you want some sources for produce etc.let me know ..
Well, your garden has wore me out so there you have it all tied up in a
bow..Just plant and grow ( ;^D)
Connie