Re: [gardeners] seed depth

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:06:37 -0800

On 15 Dec 98, at 9:18, margaret lauterbach wrote:

> I always plant seeds more shallowly than recommended.  One quarter inch is
> deep by my reckoning.  Does anyone know whether that is true?  Are
> shallow-planted seeds more likely to be caught in the seed than
> deeper-planted seeds?

It's been true in my experience.  Soil and seed types also make a
big difference, too.  As far as seed age goes I haven't noticed any
real difference between seed I know were fresh and those I know
were old.

I mist the heck out of an affected seedling, let it sit for a few
minutes then remove the seed casing.  It's a pain but I rarely lose a
seedling.

Liz