Re: [gardeners] Blue Poppies

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 22:46:37 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, penny x stamm wrote:

> Carolyn, I brought back blue poppy seeds from England
>
> They gave me a few double pale pink flowers, and a few
> single dark pink ones. No blues. And of course, they did not
> survive the winter in the ground.

Suttons and Parks both carry Meconopsis betonicifolia seeds...
BTW, not all Meconopsis are blue... M. cambrica, welsh poppy, is
bright yellow, and there are several red species, like M. punicea.

AFAIK, Meconopsis betonicifolia. M. grandis, and others, take a couple
of years to come to bloom-- I wonder if you had seeds of another genus or
species.  At any rate, I'm told that if they do start to flower the first
year, you need to remove the flower buds, or they just bloom and die.
They seem to be short-lived perennials even under the best conditions.

At any rate, if you're a sucker for poppies AND a sucker for blue flowers,
like I am, it's a genus you've got to try to grow.

Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com
just west of Portland, OR  USDA zone 8 (polarfleece)