Re: [gardeners] Seed Starting Box

Virginia Prinns (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 07 Jan 1999 20:25:54 -0800

In Dawson (Yukon) -very far NORTH - for the non-Canadians, the following
is the norm.   1 foot NEW -VIP- repeat NEW NOT COMPOSTED OLD Manure, then
 more inches of soil/sand than the roots need - (about a foot or 18
inches or so).  A plstic/glass lid, sloping to brush off the snow -vbg -
and there you are.  Put a thermometer on top of soil so you know when to
open/close the box.

Someone wanted to know about bellacanda (candy lilies) Just start them
inside under lights like any other seed.
Siberian iris.  I tie them in a panty hose and put in the loo tank for a
week or so (changes of water get rid of germination inhibitors), then
plant under lights. If toilet tank use upsets you, soak and change
waterdaily for a week or so.   If no germination in 4 weeks or so, put
pot into fridge(NOT FREEZER) for a couple of weeks, then out into warmtha
again. Just keep doing this till they germinate.

Of course, if you are in a snow zone, just put them in a pot in the snow.
 Then bury pot in soil when spring thaw arrives.  that is the easy way to
do it.

Happy new year to all.

Ginny in Prince George where my sibes are under 6 ft or so of shovelled
snow.