Re: [gardeners] Growing jicama from the store?

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:36:54 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, George Shirley wrote:

> > I've gotten vines from jicama from the store -- the trick for getting it
> > to bloom, however, is that it's daylength sensitive.  I don't recall
> > precisely which regimen is needed, but I *think* it's an almost 12 hour
> > night.
> >
> > Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com
>
> That's probably about right. If IIRC mine started blooming when days were at their
> longest this summer and bloomed right up until frost killed the vines. Probably could
> have encouraged more root growth if I had pruned the flowers but we enjoyed the vine
> and flowers about as much as we will enjoy eating the jicama root.

I guess I feel about jicama about the same way some people feel about
okra... the plant's nice, the food... well...

> Y'all staying warm Kay?

Yup.  Worked up a sweat scrubbing carpets yesterday.  Today I'm paying for
it.  ;-)

Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com
   just west of Portland, OR  USDA zone 8 (polarfleece)

wishing it got warm enough here in the summer to grow decent okra.