Re: [gardeners] Growing jicama from the store?

Sat, 16 Jan 1999 17:57:45 -0600

Kay Lancaster wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, George Shirley wrote:
>
> > > I've gotten vines from jicama from the store -- the trick for getting it
> > > to bloom, however, is that it's daylength sensitive.  I don't recall
> > > precisely which regimen is needed, but I *think* it's an almost 12 hour
> > > night.
> > >
> > > Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com
> >
> > That's probably about right. If IIRC mine started blooming when days were at their
> > longest this summer and bloomed right up until frost killed the vines. Probably could
> > have encouraged more root growth if I had pruned the flowers but we enjoyed the vine
> > and flowers about as much as we will enjoy eating the jicama root.
>
> I guess I feel about jicama about the same way some people feel about
> okra... the plant's nice, the food... well...
>
> > Y'all staying warm Kay?
>
> Yup.  Worked up a sweat scrubbing carpets yesterday.  Today I'm paying for
> it.  ;-)
>
> Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com
>    just west of Portland, OR  USDA zone 8 (polarfleece)
>
> wishing it got warm enough here in the summer to grow decent okra.

Don't even talk to me about cleaning carpets. Ran the blasted carpet shampooer I borrowed
from my daughter for two straight days. Intent was to take it back to her on Thursday when
we went to Houston for a job I had contracted for. Went off and left the damned thing
sitting in the foyer. Gotta make another trip now. At least the carpets are clean even if
my forearms and wrists are sore as the dickens.

George