Re: [gardeners] Winter storm in Rochester

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 11:16:53 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 dowdeswell@delphinium.co.nz wrote:

> Snow pollution in the lake!!!
>
> What happens when the snow melts naturally, doesn't it run off to
> the lake and pollute it anyway? Sounds like environmentalism gone
> mad to me. Or maybe I am in which case I plead ignorance of snow
> conditions. Does anyone have solid information on the extra
> pollution risk here? Bill?

A good share of the pollutants stay on land.  But a larger problem in
dumping snow on a lake or river (it's illegal in most parts of the US)
is that it really screws up the dissolved oxygen content in the water,
killing fish and other aquatic life forms.

Kay Lancaster  kay@fern.com