Re: [gardeners] Winter storm

drusus@golden.net (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:59:57 -0500

At 08:21 AM 15-01-99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Penny in NY
>
>That was with the windchill factor Penny.  It was -13C by the time I left
work yesterday aft.  We're expecting 20 cm of snow, followed by freezing
rain and then rain today.  Temps supposed to be 4C by this aft.  We have
had a few snowfalls, couple of inches each time but within a day or 2 its
all gone.  Noticed crocus and other minor bulbs up half an inch or so last
night and some bulbs actually half out of the ground.  Will try and push
them in this weekend as its supposed to warm up more.  Our winter so far
has been very mild - hope it continues till spring.

>Think Rochester is on the lake across from Toronto and not far from
Buffalo.  We've been seeing reports on TV about the snow and weather in
both Toronto and Buffalo.  Strange they haven't closed the schools.

Almost everything was shut down in Toronto by mid-afternoon yesterday...and
some swell parties going on in the downtown hotels and restaurants.  Many
people just stayed in town since it was going to be very dangerous to try
and get back to the suburbs.  Army + equipment was called in and tanks are
rolling through the downtown.  West of TO the storm bypassed us, just, at
the last minute.  This morning there was forecast no snow and guess what's
happening.  Yesterday people started cancelling and shutting down, this
morning everythings open and we are bound to have problems.  It has been
very unpredictable and likely to remain so.

Oh well, I located the candle supply; we stocked up on tinned goods and
water and have all the heavy-duty winter clothing at hand in case we have
to wear multiple layers indoors so we are set.  Only hitch is if they
cancel the hockey game tomorrow morning.  Our kid's team is in the running
for the play-offs.  This is a very important event.

Lucinda

They're the first to be closed here.  In anticipation of today's weather
forecast, many of the rural schools are closed.  They can get the kids to
school safely, but not sure if they can get them home safely.