Re: [gardeners] Jicama

Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:51:09 -0600

margaret lauterbach wrote:

> At 05:47 PM 1/18/99 -0600, you wrote:
> >Decided to go out and dig up one (1) jicama vine today. Did so and
> >harvested seven pounds of dirt-free (I washed them) jicama root. I
> >shudder to think what lies under the other 7 vines. They weren't all
> >nice little balls like you buy in the store, some were elongated like
> >sweet potatoes, and others were huge lumpy things. Now I gotta figure
> >out how to eat or give away all of this before they a)rot, b) start
> >growing again. I had no idea I could grow such huge jicama root in one
> >season here in Zone 9b.
> >
> >George
> >
> How early did you plant them, George?  I wonder if you couldn't slice them
> thinly and dehydrate them for jicama chips?  Margaret L

Planted them at the end of February according to my gardening diary, so they
had a long season in which to grow. I may try that with the chips, do a little
trial to see how they taste. Could also rehydrate them for use in stir frys
and salads. Got some cabbage dehydrating today to eat as cabbage chips.
Friends on rec.food.preserving newsgroup say they are right tasty even though
they produce near-lethal abdominal effects.

George