[gardeners] composting

Cynthia Mayeaux (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 06:01:36 -0500

At 02:50 AM 1/19/99 EST, you wrote:
>Does composting from kitchen and garden refuse REALLY make a difference OR
>does it just make us feel better???  I often wonder if my daddy's formula of
>composting is worth the effort AND actually makes a difference to my garden?
>Any thoughts and facts from those expierenced with bonifide results?
>
>Mary-Anne

Yes, yes, yes, composting can make all the difference in the world.  I've
been turning in compost for over three years now, and where I do this, I
get spectacular results.  It lightens up the clay, and I believe it adds
nutrients (or something good).  Last summer I planted a couple rows of corn
in my cutting garden.  I have compost in the original 10' x 20' area, but
had added another 4 foot section and did not have the compost to add.  You
could see the difference in the corn growth.  The stuff that had it's roots
in the composted side grew big and strong, producing multiple ears.  The
stalks that were unlucky enough to be planted in the non-composted area
were much shorter, had less girth, and only produced one ear each.  I will
be diligent about composting all my growing areas from now on.  I don't
produce enough compost on my own, so I buy a lot of city mulch, this is
made from leaves only.  I mix it in with the compost I make from grass and
garden cuttings as well as kitchen scraps.  Composting is easy, in fact too
easy not to compost.

my two cents :-)
Cynthia
**Womyn Who Moves Mountains-Little Finger Of Michigan**
**cmayeaux@traverse.com **USDA zone 4b-Sunset zone 41**
** http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/2659/garden/cynthia.html **