Re: [gardeners] Manure and food safety

John Harman (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 10:25:21 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Kay Lancaster wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, John Harman wrote:
>
> > 	Would be a huge costly task in a country like the US. massive
> > infrastructure to convert. I remember switching to decimal currency back
> > in '66, caused a huge heap of confusion here.
>
> The dual system is already costly to consumers here... we need both
> metric and SAE tools to work on cars, for instance, repairs to many
> things are a nightmare if you're not sure if you're dealing with metric
> threaded or common-thread screws, etc.

	We have the same problem here with pre-metric vehicles, but
they're gradually dissappearing off the roads. The hard part is biting the
bullet and doing it. I think successive governments have probably put it
in the 'too hard' basket. I can remember people buying kilometer
conversion stickers to put over their speedos so they'd know how fast they
were going, couldn't covert the milages. :) I still convert centimetres to
feet to get a mental 'feel' for length/height etc. It is a big move.

John