Re: [gardeners] Herbside gardening

Thu, 21 Jan 1999 18:30:05 -0600

All I can tell you about is what works for me here in USDA Zone 9b. My
herbs grow on a slope on the south side of the carport, get full sun
from about 11 am on until sunset. Oregano, both Greek and Spanish grows
well there as does French lavender. Also have winter savory, English
thyme, French thyme, Mexican Mint Marigold, chamomile (reseeds annually
as does the Epazote and the Feverfew), French sorrel, chives, garlic
chives, basil grows exceedingly well there. Borage did pretty good,
Florence fennel (bulbing) was a flop, bronze fennel has one stunted
survivor, lovage was a total failure. Leaf celery does pretty good but
this year I'm putting it in the shade of the lemon tree and think it
will do better. There's probably some I forgot but those are the herbs
that grow well for me. I grow Puerto Rican and Cuban oregano in the
shade, they seem to do better there. Whoops, almost forgot the rosemary,
it's rapidly becoming a good-sized shrub and thrives on neglect.

George