Re: [gardeners] Re: Source for brewers' hops varieties?

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 09 Feb 1999 07:19:24 -0700

At 07:03 PM 2/8/99 -0600, you wrote:
>   Question from a former neighbor. I don't have time even to look in the
>usual catalogs, though I'd bet they don't offer anything but the species
>if that. Which grows well enough here in northeast KS (usda z5, usually) to
>make a good (if scratchy) screen as well, part of the reason why he wants
>it.
>   Anyway, my best guess is that there are only slightly fewer varieties of
>these than there are of wine grapes, but I actually don't have a clue. Any-
>one know one way or another, and if so where he can find some of the more
>refined varieties?
>
>   BK---
>
>assumes they refine his favored Old Milwaukee out of hophouse floor sweepings

Nichols Garden Nursery sells roots for five varieties hardy to minus 30
degrees F.  Their catalog indicates what kinds of lagers or ales the hops
are suited for, too.  Varieties include Liberty, Willamette, Nugget,
Sunbeam Golden and Fuggle.  Get free catalog from Nichols via
www.gardennursery.com or email nichols@gardennursery.com.  Margaret L