Re: [gardeners]Eliot Coleman

William McKay (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 01:17:36 PST

Do not know him personally, but if his latest book is an indicator, he
is alive in well in Maine.  He is into growing over the winter in
unheated greenhouses in a big way.  Latest book (Manual for Winter
Harvest, self published) is quite good.  Although it is geared toward
commercial growers (exhorting them to develop this market), it is useful
for the average gardener.   Really worth a look by anyone in zone 6 or
below who is interested in growing greens over the long winter;  I got
going late this year with a small cold house, but following his
techniques, managed to keep lettuce, some arugula, coriander and a few
other things alive this past winter.  I have visions of a winter without
store bought lettuce.

Bill McKay in E. Mass