Re: [gardeners] MA Plant out

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 08 Mar 1999 08:54:10 -0700

At 09:03 AM 3/8/99 -0500, you wrote:

>I live about 75 miles north of "Bean Town", been planting here for
>25 years, Since I am at about 1,000 ft elevation you can probably subtract
>1 maybe 2 weeks.
>  The general statement for most of New England, is last frost May 20th
>    My frost is usually out of the ground around "The Day"  April 15th.
>I allow the ground to dry for 1 more week before I till. After which I
>plant
>Parsnip, carrots, beets, turnip, onions, shallots, peas. lettuce, spinach
>and swiss chard.
>I also transplant, cauliflower, broccoli and early cabbage
>NOTE: all of the above survived 2 feet of snow on May 10th.
>Or anything else that the seed package say's "As soon as the Ground
>/soil can be worked".  If you live in the NE, it means you can plant
>all those small seeds before the Mosquitoes and Black flies come out.
>
>In Phenology "As soon as Oak leaves are the size of a Mouse's ear"
>or "When Daffodil's are in full bloom.
>
>OR When the Soil temperature is above 40F at 8 AM for at least 5
>continous days.
>
>Early Potato about 2 weeks later or
>"When the Dogwood blosoms are in full bloom"
>
>Tomatoes, corn and string beans around Memorial Day
>OR After the soil temp is above 50F for 5 days at 8AM
>Or "When Dogwood blosoms fall"
>
>Peppers and Lima Beans, about 2 weeks later
>Or when the soil temp is above 60F for 5 days
>Or "When peonies are in full bloom"
>Or when you can walk barefoot in your garden comfortably
>
>That my wooden nickles worth
>
>Byron

Byron, you'd get better and bigger shallots if you planted them in the
Fall.  I didn't plant mine last fall, and will have to do it this spring,
obviously.  But I'd rather have fall-planted shallots.  Will they freeze?
Maybe, but it won't kill them.  I had some in the ground when our temp fell
to minus 25, and thought I'd lost them.  When the weather warmed up, they
resumed growing.  Margaret