Re: [gardeners] gardeners Digest V1 #474

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:08:09 -0700

owner-gardeners-digest@globalgarden.com
>writes:
>
><<purple hyacinth beans>>
>
>Dear George:
>
>Are these good to eat?  I have heard of them, but never grown them,
actually I
>haven't even seen the seeds.  Are they like Scarlet Runners?  I have grown
>them.  Pretty flowers, too much foliage, and okay to eat, not much for the
>linear feet taken up in my opinion.
>
>Mary-Anne

Mary-Anne, have you grown Painted Lady pole beans?  The blossoms are
bi-colored, white and red -- okay, gaudy. What did you expect with a name
like Painted Lady?  I like the beans very much, although they're wide and
flat. I think they're prime candidates for slicing.  Margaret