Re: [gardeners] gardeners Digest V1 #474

Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:45:53 -0600

Shantihhh@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/10/99 5:05:31 AM, owner-gardeners-digest@globalgarden.com
> writes:
>
> <<purple hyacinth beans>>
>
> Dear George:
>
> Are these good to eat?  I have heard of them, but never grown them, actually I
> haven't even seen the seeds.  Are they like Scarlet Runners?  I have grown
> them.  Pretty flowers, too much foliage, and okay to eat, not much for the
> linear feet taken up in my opinion.
>
> Mary-Anne

Yup, hyacinth beans, like scarlet runners are edible. Both have a lot of vine and
take up a lot of space for what you harvest but both have pretty blossoms and the
hyacinth bean also has pretty foliage. I don't put them in the main garden but
plant along the fence or on temporary teepees elsewhere in the yard.

George