Re: [gardeners] weeds

Terry King (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:52:09 -0600

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:55:18 -0600, George Shirley wrote:

>It's called solarizing Byron, best done with clear plastic not the
>black. Put the plastic down and cover the edges with dirt, leave 3 to 4
>weeks and it will heat the soil down deep enough to kill any kind of
>seeds or bugs that are in the surface soil. The clear will get much
>hotter than the black for this purpose IIRC.
>
>George

It works well when the temperatures are hot enough.  Here in the frozen
north my experience with clear plastic left over the winter on the soil is
that in the spring it only gives the weeds and grasses a good head start! :-D
They are more frost tender though so once they are growing well taking
the plastic off very often allows frost to kill the early growth.

Terry King                  North Central Eastern Washington
taeking@televar.com        USDA zone 4, Sunset Zone 1
http://skybusiness.com/terraconnect/index.html