Re: [gardeners] Zoysia?

Terry King (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:32:21 -0600

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:29:56 -0800 (PST), Kay Lancaster wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Terry King wrote:
>
>> I have questions for friends of mine who are considering putting in a
>>zoysia  lawn here in our zone 4b.

>Did they also tell you that it's a warm season grass, greening up only
>in the heat of summer?  Somehow, I don't think it's quite what you want
>in northern Washington state.  Northern Washington DC maybe...  ;-)
>
>Kay Lancaster kay@fern.com

Thanks Kay!

I thought that might be the case, seems like that was mentioned sometime
when zoysia was discussed before.

What grass would you plant on a sunny exposure in soil like I described?

What's your take on creeping red fescue?  I've fallen in love with its soft
fine texture.  I'm planning to plant it this spring on the northwest side of my
house, an area that receives 3 or 4 hours of sunlight mid summer, and on the
north side under fir and spruce trees so its mostly shady.

Terry King                  North Central Eastern Washington
taeking@televar.com        USDA zone 4, Sunset Zone 1
http://skybusiness.com/terraconnect/index.html