Re: [gardeners] Zoysia?

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:31:46 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Terry King wrote:

> What grass would you plant on a sunny exposure in soil like I described?
>
> What's your take on creeping red fescue?  I've fallen in love with its soft
> fine texture.  I'm planning to plant it this spring on the northwest side of my
> house, an area that receives 3 or 4 hours of sunlight mid summer, and on the
> north side under fir and spruce trees so its mostly shady.

I dunno.  The fescues are some of the most shade tolerant grasses, but
they're what we grew in shade in the midwest... west of the Cascades,
they're grown in full sun and we grow moss in the shade.  ;-)  So I'm
not sure if you've got enough sun to keep it going given the fir and
spruce and the 3-4 hours of sun midsummer.  I'd talk to your extension
people, as I'm not really sure what your climate is like...
http://www.spokane-county.wsu.edu/garden/c054.htm for some recommendations
for the drier end of the state.

Personally, I'm about ready to just let the back yard go to quackgrass,
Agropyron repens (a major nasty weed).  I just get it cleaned out and
it comes sneaking back from the neighbors.  It's either that or moss.  ;-)

Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com
   just west of Portland, OR  USDA zone 8 (polarfleece)