Re: [gardeners] Vidalia Onions

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 20:46:10 -0600

Hi Marguerite,
    Ironically as it may seem, the "Vidalia" onion starts in Texas and is
transplanted in Georgia. I will argue that the 1015y onion developed by
Texas A&M is superior to the Vidalia onion. It seems that in either case
there is no magic soil and climate, as long as the horticultural
requirements for onions are met.
    I think that it is more important to plant the right variety, ie, short
or long day, that is suitable for your area. Onions do better in sandy, or
loamy soil than in heavy clay soil.
    Happy Gardening,
    Allen
    Bastrop Co.,