Re: [gardeners] Re: Canning Jalapenos

Sun, 28 Mar 1999 21:24:56 -0600

"David G. Smith" wrote:

> George wrote:
> >Some folks still advocate boiling home canned food for 10 minutes before
> eating.
> >Personally I think it's foolish IF you follow good procedures. Home
> canning ain't
> >for sissies.
> >

> My in-laws got some home-canned things from people they knew and gave us
> some.  One is pickled watermelon rind (I think, I didn't try it yet), in a
> regular pint canning jar.  The other is blackberry jam in a jar that looks
> like it originally had gravy in it -- the lid says "Heat and Serve".  My
> grandmother and her sister re-used jars like that, but I hadn't seen anyone
> do it lately.  Looks like they've used this one more than once!  I was a
> little hesitant to eat it but I do like blackberry jam.  It's a third gone,
> and I'm as OK as ever.  (No boiling, either.)
>
> David Smith

There are some hazards in using jars that are not for home canning. Poisoning
isn't usually one of them though. The hazard is that mayonaise, jelly, etc jars
are meant for one time use and are usually of thinner glass than a "Mason" jar.
Some of the ready-to-eat spaghetti sauces are in "real" canning jars, most
particularly Classico and, I believe, Five Brothers. Another problem with mayo
jars and such is that the lid ridges aren't made for canning jar lids and rings
so you don't get a good seal. Your "heat and serve" jar is probably made of
heavier glass since it is meant to be heated. You can also usually tell if
jellies and jams have gone "off" whereas it's a bit tricker with green beans,
carrots and such veggies. I've had green beans that were properly prepared,
properly pressure canned, and properly stored that went bad. Soon as I popped
the lid I could smell them, think maybe the lid didn't seal all the way around.
There's risk in everything you do and thank goodness there is or I wouldn't be
able to make a living as a safety consultant. <VBG>

George