Re: [gardeners] garden stuff -Reply

Penny Nielsen (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 14:07:57 -0400

Hi Margaret, Penny and Allen

Round here it reseeds like crazy too.  I planted the regular kind the first year and have never had to plant again.  Tried another type that was discussed on Gardens and had no luck with it.

My first thought was that perhaps it was just too hot in Texas, but could collect and use the seeds in pickels later when they're ready.

I love dill, but only tend to use it fresh on fish and potatoes and dry it in the microwave for winter use tho it looses a lot of its flavour.

At 10:13 PM 4/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Penny,
>    This year it looks like I will have plenty of dill for my pickles. I
>planted dill seeds in beds in two of my garden plots. They didn't come up so
>Judy and I bought some transplants. Now the seeds that I planted have
>sprouted and are growing large enough to see that they are dill. Gonna have
>lots of dill!!
>    Hope spring comes your way soon.
>Happy Gardening,
>Allen
>Bastrop Co., SE Central Tx.
>Zone 8

Allen, I planted dill nearly 30 years ago, and it still volunteers each
year.  I hoe it out of the paths, but let it grow in rows of other crops.
There it grows and sets and drops seeds, guaranteeing next year's supply as
well. I don't use much dill, so that supplies me with all I need. It does
foul up any attempt to grow fennel seed in that garden, but ah, well.  We
do till the garden, by the way. The dill provides another benefit, too.
We're subject to a disease called curly top virus (I think it only affects
western Texas), carried by beet leafhoppers.  The aroma of dill seems to
put them off course and they avoid dill-growing gardens.  Margaret, who's
watching snowflakes fall instead of green plants growing.