Re: [gardeners] GROUNDHOGS

William McKay (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 05:55:12 PDT

I have been battling groundhogs (AKA woodchucks) for years with mixed
success.  Juicy fruit gum will definitely not work.  Fences do not
work either nor does all the various advice I have heard(leave on a
radio, preferably to an obnoxious talk radio station, hair, etc)
However, if you can find their hole, I have a better idea regarding
what to drop down there.  If you go to the local farm supply store,
they should sell smoke bombs made especially for woodchucks.  You
simply find the hole,  light the fuse, toss it in the hole, and cover
the hole with dirt.

If the woodchuck was a smart one, he will have a second exit and
escape (but will definitely never come back to that burrow).  If he is
a suburban woodchuck and only has one entrance, well then too bad.

Bill McKay in E. Mass (who is very sad since the neighbors freaked and
got the wildlife folks to trap the coyote who had been living in the
swamp down the road.  I had high hopes for him cleaning out the
young woodchucks.)

>From: "c.l. avery" <clavery111@hotmail.com>
>To: gardeners@globalgarden.com
>Subject: [gardeners] GROUNDHOGS
>Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 21:32:22 PDT
>From owner-gardeners@globalgarden.com Fri Apr 09 21:38:17 1999
>Sender: owner-gardeners@globalgarden.com
>
>Dear list,
>  I can speak from personal experience with moles...the juicy fruit
>works!  I lived in San Francisco for many years and when I first
moved
>in my lawn was just riddled with moles.  I tried everything,
including
>the neighbor man who was a good ol' southern boy and didn't mind
>smacking the things with a bat and then picking up the dead and
>bleeding body...but even he couldn't keep up with them.  And besides,
>he eventually moved away.  I tried the
>flushing-them-out-with-the-hose, dogs (although not dachsunds),
poison
>put down the holes, etc.  After all those things failed, I heard on a
>radio gardening show about putting an unchewed stick of juicy fruit
>down the holes.  What could I lose?  So, I tried it and shabam!
>within a week or two all of the mole holes were quiet and no more
ever
>came up.  And I lived there for 3 more years...  I'm sold on it.
Now,