Re: [gardeners] peat moss

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 01:30:11 -0500

Hi C.L.,
    You have it right about the watering and planting. Fill the hole the
first time with water so that the roots will have a nice moist area to
grow in. Fill hole with dirt/peat mix, place the plant in the mix and fill
with mix almost back to ground level. Now soak the area around the plant
untill the water is standing once again and let it gradually seep away.
You do this to make sure that the dirt/mix melts and fills in any air
pockets that may be in there. Many times you will see bubbles as air is
replaced by soil and water. I use this method if I am transplanting
anything, from trees to vegetables. Usually don't lose anything to
transplant shock.
    Maybe your temps are still a little cool for good grass seed
germination. I really can't help about the lime. I don't use it. My soil
is acidic and suits me fine.
    Allen
    Bastrop Co.,
    SE Central Tx.