Re: [gardeners] Re:Native fruit and nuts

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:37:10 -0500

Hi Vicki,
    I'm searching ditches and old farmsteads for native nut and fruit trees. I
get all excited when I find Hickory or native Pecans on our place too. I am
getting rid of a jillion native grape vines 'cause they are all males. I'm going
to replace them with female vines as soon as possible. Native grapes vines are
male 9 out of 10 vines. My Dad has some Possum Persimmon trees spotted for me to
transplant come winter.
    I'm hoping to end up with native pecans, hickory, grapes, plums, dewberries,
etc. The most colorful birds seem to be the fruit eating ones.
    Allen
    Bastrop Co.
    SE Central Tx.