Re: [gardeners] figs

Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:59:44 -0500

Rob Loach wrote:

> I have been lurking on this list for a few days, and I've been enjoying
> it a lot.
>
> I'm going to jump in today with a question. A friend recently gave me a
> dried fig from his yard. He said that he didn't know how to go about it,
> but he thought that I could probably use the seeds inside it to plant my
> own fig tree. I can find nothing about this in anything that I have on my
> shelf.
>
> Should I stick the whole fig in the ground? Should I take out some seeds
> and plant them individually in pots, then transplant later?
>
> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Rob
>

> Rob Loach in Greenville SC    (USDA zone 7)
> mailto:deloges@juno.com
> For people who like peace and quiet: a phoneless cord.
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

> or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

You would do a lot better to go to your friends house and dig up a sucker
from the tree. Would take eons for a tree to grow from the seeds of the fig
fruit. Most fig trees sucker readily and it's a fairly easy job to dig one
up, cut from the parent root, and then plant in your yard. That's how we got
ours and every one we ever had, which is a bunch over the years. If you do
this remember the tree will need about 35 gallons of water a week during the
growing season. Mulch out to the drip line and about 6 inches deep as the
roots are close to the ground surface and the tree will do much better when
well mulched.

If I were to try growing a tree from seed I believe I would take the whole
fruit and plant it in a pot to see what would happen.

George