Re: [gardeners] Sunday in the garden

Linda Baranowski-Smith (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 21 May 1999 23:33:55 -0400

 and SASSAFRAS LEAVES.
George wrote, in part:

>file' is made from. Dried two trays of the leaves and ended up with
>about 4 ounces of file powder.
>
>Noted too, that the sassafras tree has fruit on it, first time I've seen
>this. May harvest some ripe, if the birds don't get it all, and then
>plant them to make more trees.

George,

Should you need some more sassafras leaves for file`, let me know.  At what
stage of leaf growth do you pick and dry the leaves?

Interesting that you have observed fruit this year;  I looked for it
everywhere locally last fall, obviously after the birds had feasted on
them.  My 40 yr old sassafras tree doesn't produce any drupes.  It must be
a male.

Linda in NW Ohio near Toledo/Lake Erie, USDA Zone 5
llbs@mail.glasscity.net