Re: [gardeners] love my dirt

Mon, 24 May 1999 07:56:44 -0500

Cynthia Mayeaux wrote:

> I have been a busy womyn these past couple of weekends.  I've actually
> managed to stay in town for the final half of May (quite a feat considering
> I travel for work so much).  I put up a great fence, 70 lineal feet of
> boards, 216 screws to screw in and 14 post holes in rocky clay soil
> (another mountain moved :-).  It makes my whole front yard seem bigger,
> while at the same time making it feel cozier.
>
> I put a couple of rambling roses in, and put in my gourds to overrun the
> fence this summer.  My gourd plants are pretty big, and the statistics that
> they will live are against me.  I started my gourds too early last year
> too.  I was very careful to harden these off, and did not disturb the roots
> at all when I gently put them in to the ground.  I have postive hopes that
> my birdhouses, dippers and corsicans will produce well.
>
> I let the vines lie on the ground last night so they could get used to
> their surroundings today.  It's pretty windy today, so I may not tie up the
> vines onto the fence slats for awhile, no need to have ratty leaves due to
> winds.
>
> The soil in my front bed along the fenceline is fantastic.  It's quite
> remarkable since it started out as such nasty soil.  I worked on it all
> last summer, removing the top layer of weed filled sod and triple tilling
> horse pucky and compost into it.  Recently I began weeding, quite a chore
> as the bed is 60 feet long, 15 feet wide.  But getting down on your knees
> and hand weeding is one way to really get to know your dirt (I think Duane
> has talked about this before).  It is awesome soil.  Perfectly friable and
> the horse pucky composted in beautifully.  I know y'all'll understand when
> I say I am in love with this dirt.  By the time
> I'm done weeding it, I will know each handful of  this land. If this area
> doesn't grow good gourds, I don't know what will.
>
> I am very excited!
> Cynthia  (the dirt witch)
>
> **Womyn Who Moves Mountains**In The Little Finger Of Michigan**
> **cmayeaux@traverse.com **USDA zone 4b-Sunset zone 41**
> ** http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/2659/garden/cynthia.html **

Would you be interested in meeting some of our dirt? I know it could use the
care you've been describing around your hacienda. Would be more than willing to
provide room and board for the duration of your visit with our dirt. <VBG>

George, feeling pretty good today in spite of a sinus infection (again!)