Re: [gardeners]vinegar

Mon, 24 May 1999 21:02:48 -0500

AMGarden@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/23/99 2:29:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> gshirley@laol.net writes:
>
> > That's weird, I just chunk them in the soil and our natural high humidity
> > plus a
> >  little watering on dry days makes them germinate at 100%. I didn't even
> know
> > you
> >  could buy nastursium plants.
>
> George,
> you must have different soil then.  In the sand here they dry out unless
> watered each morning and afternoon.  Once the seedlings are established they
> do alright, but not in the germination stages.  Even with highly amended soil
> it is mostly sand and very dry.  They just never survived into that first set
> of true leaves for me, if they came up at all.  We were lucky if one in ten
> came up.
>
> Anne in FL
> zone 9b

Yup, very different soil. We have a heavy clay loam that has been lightened
through judicious additions of compost, a little sand left over from the house
building 24 years ago, lots of horse manure mixed with rice hulls.

We gardened in pure sand the 5 years plus that we lived in the Middle East. Lots
of water and fertilizer and you could grow anything, as long as you had enough
shade for stuff to survive the 100+ temps on a daily basis plus windbreaks to
stop the eternal wind blowing stuff away. We gardened behind a 12-foot wall with
a shade over the top. My orchids did well there as long as they got misted at
least three times a day.

George