Re: [gardeners] Raised beds

Harry Boswell (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 11:02:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, George Shirley wrote:

> Be sure and cut the timbers where you can safely sweep up the sawdust and
> chippings. There is a school of thought that they may release the treating
> agent when powdered. I do this just to be on the safe side.

A definite thing to do.  there's lots of surface area in sawdust, and
even the folks who advocate PT wood say clean up the sawdust.  Best
to cut them on concrete where cleanup is easier.

I've been cutting lots of PT wood the past week, building a screen house
so the bugs won't get to lovely wife and kids.  Wear hearing protection,
a good dust mask, safety glasses, and use the shop-vac when I'm done.

it's gonna be a nice little place when I'm done.  And THEN, maybe, i
can do some gardening.

On the potatoes - I've seen people grow them in old tires - start with one
tire, fill it with dirt, plant the potato.  When it grows some, stack
on another tire, and fill it with dirt or mulch.  Keep stacking tires
as the vine grows.  When it's harvest time, start unstacking tires
and grab them 'taters!

Harry Boswell                 hboswell@netdoor.com
USDA Zone 8 (Mississippi USA)
Home Page:  http://www2.netdoor.com/~hboswell