Re: [gardeners] Friday in the garden

AMGarden@aol.com (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 18:50:39 EDT

In a message dated 6/5/99 6:00:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, gshirley@laol.net
writes:

> It's sure taking a long time to get the paper off the wall in the master
bath,

>  only half done after nearly two days. It's a few square inches at a time
and
> for
>  the same reasons as yours. I'm trying to save drywall that wasn't properly
> prepped
>  before the paper was put on. Gonna have to mud one section about 6 inches
> wide by
>  4 feet long where the paper surface of the drywall came off with the
> wallpaper. No
>  big deal, just use spackling compound and level it with a 1X4 and the
trowel.

Our house also has 20 year old wallpaper and wall tile.  In the kitchen the
walls were tiled with orange flowers that were about 4 inches across.  One on
each tile.  Each tile pulled down a big chunk of wall board.  We ended up
taking down the drywall and putting up new, this was much easier than it
sounds.  Since there was unseen rot behind the sink, that was repaired too.

In the family room that shrunk, when the kitchen expanded, there was tan
wallpaper with dark brown flowers.  Instead of pulling it all down and
redoing the wall board in there I (over a week my husband was traveling for
work) pulled only the loose parts down, sanded the rest lightly, spackled a
little and painted over the wall paper with 2 coats of Kilz (tm) and 6 more
coats of white latex paint.  It took that much before you could no longer see
the brown flowers through the paint.  It has been that way for 5 years now
and there has been no further peeling of the old paper.  You wouldn't know it
was painted paper if I didn't tell you.

Now I am ready to put up some more wallpaper in there.  There has been no
decision on color or pattern yet, but I already have the sizing that goes on
first to prevent the same problems we had before.  This time the paper will
be strippable.  It will be something to help bring the garden inside.
Anne in FL
zone 9b