Re: [gardeners] nicotiana

AMGarden@aol.com (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:19:35 EDT

In a message dated 6/10/99 12:26:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gshirley@laol.net writes:

> Anne, we live in Zone 9b SW LA and nicotiania are definitely early summer
>  flowers here. Ours are growing and blooming right now. They bloom at
> twilight
>  and all night and smell the strongest, at least to me, right at daylight.

Thanks George,
I was afraid of that.  I spent so much time this spring digging out new
garden beds, while it was cool, I never got around to planting any seeds.
Wonder, if they are shaded, it will stunt them enough to last until winter
planting time in Aug. or Sept.?  I did, however, make room for all of my
perennials and divide some of the old ones around that had become to big for
their own good.

Ah well, the basil is coming up gang busters.  The gailliardia is not doing
as well, but there are maybe 3 plants out of 12 pots planted.  The geraniums
(blueberry ripple) are starting to send up thier first leaves, and the Alaska
Daisies are starting to germinate.  The Primula that was seeded last year is
now, finally ready for potting up.  They have been very slow growers and only
have about 3 or 4 leaves apiece.  These will have to be indoor plants as they
will not survive the summers here in FL.
Anne in FL
zone 9b