Re: [gardeners] OT

Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:51:41 -0500

drusus@golden.net wrote:

> At 11:24 AM 07-06-99 EDT, you wrote:
> >RE:  Removal of wallpaper.  There is a product that you apply and viola the
> >wallpaper comes off.  Wallpapers to Go used to carry it.
> >
> >Mary-Anne
>
> Not if you have 6 layers all put on with old-fashioned horesehide glue.
> Plain old hot water , scrape and spritz works better, is cheaper.  Next, I
> am going to try George's 50-50 vinegar solution... I have ONE room left to
> do in the town house, about 4 at the farm, but that doesn't look too
> difficult there. One layer of paper, for starters.
>
> Lucinda

If the house at the farm is very old the paper may be laid over old-fashioned
plaster and lath walls. If so you will have to either be very careful not to
pull them down or just take them down and put up sheetrock in place of. Depends
on whether you are restoring to original or making the place liveable for the
next 50 years. <VBG>

I want to redo the walls in my office next. It has a repeating mallard drake
motif in the paper with a band around the walls at four feet of larger duck,
below the band is a motif of marsh grasses. Since I spend a lot of time in the
office I think a plain white wall would do me better and maybe get Miz Anne to
paint a mural of some sort in there. Will definitely do a test  on the wallpaper
and if it doesn't come off easy here comes the Kilz paint. BTW, Byron Bromley
sent in the vinegar and water thing, works pretty good but only slightly better
than hot water in a spray bottle. Get plenty of blades for your wallpaper
scraper and take lots of breaks out in the garden to keep from going batty.

George