[gardeners] OT: Wild Turkey and the screaming meemies

Diane Birmingham (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:32:42 -0400

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:10:55 -0400
From: Diane Birmingham <adbir@conncoll.edu>
To: Gardens & Gardening <GARDENS@LSV.UKY.EDU>
Subject: OT: Wild Turkey and the screaming meemies

Well, I'm back after my SECOND surgery on my back (in two weeks) and I'm
feeling pretty good--still have a way to go.  While I've been recovering
I've observed two things.
1.  For the past 5 days we have had 2 wild turkeys and a turklet (???)
come visit us. I have never had any experience with them--they are quite
friendly--and was wondering if they are a menace to my pathetic little
veggie garden which consists of tomatoes (from seed, so they are quite
small) onions, eggplant and squashes.

2.  The freaking grackles are driving me NUTS!!!!!  They start screaming
at about 5:20 in the morning and don't shut up until it gets dark. When
I say screaming, I'm not just whistlin' dixie.  These birds rivel any
harried housewife and her 11 children.  They are about to give me the
screaming meemies.  Anyone know how to discourage them without
discouraging all my other lovely birds.  I serve to finches, cardinals,
chickadee, nuthatches, mockingbirds, towees and wrens.  Please don't
tell me I have to take down my feeders.

Diane in CT (who can't garden and is having a terrific pity party for
herself!!!)