Re: [gardeners] gourd pollination

Sun, 04 Jul 1999 13:46:00 -0500

donna warren wrote:

> Thanks to George, I have three husky cucuzzi plants.  So strong and
> aggressive that they have overturned their cage of concrete reinforcing
> wire, swallowed 6 tomato plants and three compost piles.  Now heading for
> the woods to challenge the kudzu.
>
> Been flowering for weeks now, but no gourds.  Do gourds have both male and
> female flowers as squash do, or are there male plants and female plants?
> Mine act all male.
>
> Donna, Tennessee

They have both types of flowers. My lageneria, edible gourds, just produced
their first fruit big enough to cut and eat yesterday. Takes them awhile as
they are really hot weather plants for me. If you look real close you can see
the minature fruits on the female plants. I've been tempted to pollinate with
a paint brush but see the moths flitting about by night and a few insects by
day. Don't worry, you'll end up getting all the cucuzzi you can handle
eventually. Do keep the vines out of the house though as they frighten
children and pets when they crawl up on them. ;-)

George