Re: [gardeners] Bar-B-Que

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 03:06:56 -0500

Hi Penny,
    I didn't answer all your questions in my first reply.
    Yup. Two pounds of boneless, melt in your mouth, fork tender, smoke
flavored brisket will disappear off your plate so quick you will think it
evaporated. We usually serve corn on the cob in season, potato salad, pinto
beans, green beans, tomatos, pickles, onions, peppers, buckets of ice tea,
pie, cake, brownies, watermelon and cantaloupe in season, sliced peaches,
etc.
    I won't buy a turkey unless it is real close to 20 lbs., or more. It
just isn't worth the effort to cook one of those little bitty birds. We
usually have 20 or so people for Christmas and Thanksgiving. Sometimes
more. The family is growing every year. There are always more additions
than subtractions. Most of my elderly relatives are in their late 80's to
90's. I'm about to turn 50 and I am a great uncle. My niece that did that
to me is in her mid 20's and has a masters degree in psychology, mother to
one boy and one girl. I put that in so you didn't think she was 15 or 16.
One of my nephews is in the 10th Mountain Division and he and his wife are
planning on a baby real soon. Judy and I are grandparents x 5.
    You should have seen the crowd that was at my Mama and Dad's
anniversary in June. 90% of the people were relatives, in a gathering of
about 75 people. We kept the guest list as small as possible for my Mama's
sake. She has Parkinson's, is 72, and can't handle a real large crowd. We
could easily have had 300 people if all that would have come would have
been invited.
    We always have plenty of people and plenty of food. That's a Texas
tradition.
Allen
Bastrop Co.
SE Central Tx.