Re: [gardeners] Bar-B-Que

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 02:33:18 -0500

Hi Penny,
    The "turkey cooker" is also known as a Cajun Cooker. Used to deep fry
catfish, shrimp, 'bout anything. It is a cast aluminum pot of I think 5
gal. capacity. It has a separate stand and burner for the cooker to sit on.
It is an outside cooker by the way. You fill it with 3-4 gal of peanut oil,
get it boiling hot, and lower the turkey into it tail end first. When it is
done you haul it out and let drain, then serve. It doesn't have a batter on
it. You season the bare skin before putting it in the cooker.
    I have never eaten turkey with any kind of sweet batter, or for that
matter a batter at all. You were in Tenn. where they just passed a law
making it legal to keep road kill. I guess that means in the past that
people were breaking the  law when they were eating road kill. Damn, I
thought things got bad in Texas at times, like last years drought. There is
no clamor here to pass a "Road Kill Bill", however. We prefer to prepare
our own meat if we have to raise it, hunt it, or trap it. Picking it up
from the side of the road,....well, I don't see it myself.{;-)
    Allen
    Bastrop Co.
    SE Central Tx, where there is plenty to eat.