Re: [gardeners] Tomatoes with black fungus

Craig Watts (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:05:01 -0400

I had had pine tree size tomatoe plants with no fruit.

Too much fertilizer too early.

Observer

Craig Watts
kingdomm@worldnet.att.net

----------
From: Penny Nielsen <NIELSENP@gov.ns.ca>
To: gardeners@globalgarden.com
Subject: Re: [gardeners] Tomatoes with black fungus
Date: Thursday, July 22, 1999 11:20 AM

Hi Margaret

Reminds me that I meant to ask why, for the first time in 8 years, I seem
to have few toms on my plants.  I planted the same seeds as last year,
(fresh seed purchased last year and kept sealed in container in fridge).
The plants and really lush - perhaps too lush - already 5 ft. tall.  I
added some tomato fertilizer in each hole when I transplanted them.  There
are lots of bees around, have been watering adequately and have mulched
with grass clippings - same procedures as I used in previous years.  Bro
and SIL were visiting last evening and remarked on the lack of toms too.

Any ideas?  I usually have so many toms that I give them away by the
bagfull.

Penny in Halifax, N.S. - perplexed

>>> margaret lauterbach <mlaute@micron.net> 07/21/99 11:51AM >>>

It's blossom end rot, Ron. Caused by lack of calcium. Your soil may have an
abundance of calcium, but the plants can't take it up because the subsoil
conditions are too wet or too dry. Water deeply about every 5 to 7 days,
and see if the condition doesn't clear up. Margaret