Re: [gardeners] Where is George?

Sat, 24 Jul 1999 19:04:04 -0500

Allen and Judy Merten wrote:

> George,
>     Is your energy co. sending electricity up north to make up for the high usage
> up there and cutting back at home? In all the years that I have lived in Texas,
> some very near the La. border, I have never heard of such stuff. The only time I
> have ever experienced electrical supply problems was related to storms, either ice,
> tornado or hurricane.
>     Allen
>     Bastrop Co.
>     SE Central Tx.

Entergy is telling us that the "rolling brownouts" are to 1. Let the
transmission lines cool off before they melt. (?) I have no idea if
that's true or not. 2. Due to high demand in the NE they cannot buy the
extra power we need down here in the summer.

All I can vouch for is that since Entergy bought out the local power
company we have had more outages and less workers. They now have one
lineman who takes care of this large area, if it gets really bad they
hire contractors. All the meter readers were laid off and that was
contracted out. Entergy has, I believe, two nuke plants and both are
having problems staying on line. They also laid off all their safety
people at the local power plant and the asst. plant manager now handles
that function. The Louisiana Public Service Commission is always on
Entergy's case and making them refund money. We get about 25% of our
monthly bill rebated due to their past overcharges. Don't think they're
shipping any power north though.

George