Re: [gardeners] heat wave broken!

Linda Baranowski-Smith (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 10:19:08 -0400

Penny wrote:

>Once the water supply officially gets restricted, the system is to allow
>us to water anything except the lawn which we can manage with a
>sprinkling can. 1st offense if caught :  $1,000.00 fine. The neighboring
>county edict already is in effect...   We had 6 tenths of one inch of
>rain
>during July.

Another sigh from our NW Ohio garden where the heat wave has broken to a
perfect summer day of 80*F with a few whispy clouds.  July was a record
breaker month for the heat and humidity.  However, we've had a total 0.4
inch rain for the months of June and July.  All the storms passing from
west to east have gone around us... lots of thunder but no water.  We've
had city water restrictions since July 1... no lawns may be watered or cars
washed, a restriction that many have not heeded.  Grrrr!  Our grass is all
brown except for the weeds that have an amazing metabolism.

It's been a dreadful gardening season without rain.  We pump water from our
pond for the garden and flowers but the pond level is down about 5 feet
from normal.  It's just not enough to soak the ground appropriately.
Anybody know a good rain dance?

Linda in NW Ohio near Toledo/Lake Erie, USDA Zone 5
llbs@mail.glasscity.net