Re: [gardeners] Sunday in the garden

Mon, 16 Aug 1999 07:44:50 -0500

"David G. Smith" wrote:

> We got the cold front last night, too, but only about 1/10 inch of rain.
> It stayed cloudy a lot of the day and not too hot.
>
> I cut some herbs to dry yesterday -- basil, rosemary, savory (summer and
> winter), sage, thyme, and tarragon.  I thought I ought to get some chives
> but I wasn't sure what to do with it.  I guess they need to be on a rack or
> other flat surface for drying, not hanging up in a bunch.

I've found the best way to do chives, at least for me, is to chop them
and freeze them on a cookie sheet then put in bags for the freezer.
Dried ones have to be reconstituted which means they get cooked too
long.

> The purple-hull peas are doing great in the heat and drought.  I haven't
> noticed them wilting at all (I do water them some).  They seem to always
> have some wasps on them, I wonder why?

Good, the wasps are catching the caterpillars that would feed on your
peas. Some of them may be after sugar that escapes when other insects
feed on the pea vines. We have a problem with fire ants on the peas,
they seem to love them and I get multiple bites when I pick peas.

Soon I'll be wondering how to tell
> when they're ready.  When the peas are as big as they get, I guess, like
> green peas -- of course, I don't know how big they get.

Purple hulls are ready whenever the pod is large and full. Pick one ever
so often and you'll readily see the difference. Be prepared for some
good eating, a little onion, some garlic, a chile pod, cook until tender
and sop up with cornbread. ;-)

> Our dogs are sick, we don't know exactly what the problem is.  The vet
> seems to think probably a not-too-dangerous bug of some sort.  It sure is
> messy, though.
>
> Life will seem a little better once they're over it.
>
> David

Too bad about the dogs, hope they're well soon. When Miz Sleepy Dawg
gets to feeling bad things kinda slow down around here and the grandkids
tend to call more often to see how the dog is doing.

Would you believe we're watering again today, Saturday's rain didn't
last long.

George