Re: [gardeners] Hoist in my own petard

Wed, 01 Sep 1999 10:56:01 -0500

penny x stamm wrote:

> .
> Margaret, you're near Boise, are you not? Is this cool
> weather normal for the last day of August...?
>
> If so, that's a mighty short growing season for you folks!
> Today was heavenly -- perhaps 75*, blue skies. One in a
> million.
>
> 'Round about  3:00  o'clock,  Jimmie was hand picking
> clover out of the front lawn (he's a maniac...) so i picked up
> a bucket and a pair of hand clippers and a dandelion digger,
> and wandered across the front yard. Found zero crab grass,
> and 2 dandelions.....   ok, might as well prune out those few
> dead branches on that big azalea, no problem.  One of a
> bank of 20 Hino Crimson azaleas, this one had suddenly
> decided to drop dead from drought and excess heat. I stuck a
> schpritzing sprinkler right underneath it for 2 hours, but to
> no avail. Two weeks later we found that the entire bush had
> sprung to life with fresh baby leaves!  What a thrill --- I could
> never have replaced it with anything of similar size, after 15
> years!  Only a tiny section was dead...[sigh of relief..]
>
> Then I pruned a bit on some Mountain Laurel. And as I turned
> around, I reralized that the passgeway thru to the back had
> become overgrown so it must have been hard for Jimmie to
> get thru with the lawn mower. I pruned back the rhododendron
> 'Sappho', huge white trusses with a ruby throat, in spring. The
> plants had grown into a true jungle in 15 years, actually reaching
> about 11 feet in height. Knowing that I always deadhead my
> rhodies, to save the strength in the plants for flowering, I worked
> my way around the jungle, snipping, pruning and deadheading
> a bit here and a bit there. Gradually I found myself at the far end of
> the planting -- perhaps 18 massive rhodies -- and I saw a dead
> flower cluster almost out of reach, so I climbed into the forest.
>
> Now I ain't no dainty lass.  I'm a pleasingly plump <?>,  wobbly
> old woman, with a bad foot, a tight shoe, and an aching back. But
> certain things simply have to get done, you understand. I could
> never send Jimmie in there to do the job, because his elbows
> and his knees and his rump and his shoulders and his tall head
> would all have fractured the forest. So I quietly worked my way thru
> and around the confluence of the rhodie bed and the pink azalea
> bed alongside. With careful manipulation of my body parts, I did
> manage to get thru, v-e-r-y slowly, pruning all the time.  I was
> very happy that rhodies are such a pleasure to work deep within,
> never seeming to harbor insects, but I did have a hard time
> keeping my sun visor on my head.  I could not squat to lay it on the
> ground -- the branches were too dense. And I just could not reach
> outside of  the rhodie canopy to toss the thing....   so I finally  stuck
>
> it down  inside my shirt.
>
> About 3/4ths of the way across, I noticed that the sun had radically
> moved in the sky and was blazing into my eyes so I could not make
> [...]
That was certainly an adventure Penny, wish I could have seen it. I'm
still chortling after reading your post and Miz Anne came in and read it
over my shoulder. I think you're her kind of woman because it certainly
sounds like something she would do. Glad you weren't more seriously
injured though.

George