Re: [gardeners] Whatta week and weekend.

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 17:02:26 -0500

George,
    Happy Birthday late. I celebrated my 50th on the 15th. I knew that there
was some other kinship besides gardening. My birthday celebration was much
similar to yours. We had to interrupt the celebration to take the youngest
dog to the vet. He began hemorrhaging from the lungs. Seems he must have
caught a rat or mouse that had ingested Warfrin. Boots spent Sunday to
Wednesday in Doggie ICU, had antidote, transfusion, antibiotics, IV fluids,
etc. He is doing fine now. Back to his pouncing and bouncing tactics (like
Tigger in Winne the Pooh).
    The Vet told us this was a common thing with cats and dogs catching
poisoned animals and becoming poisoned themselves. He told me about an
animal rehabber that has had Hawks, Falcons, and carrion eating birds
brought to rehab for the same symptoms.
    It was a serious emotional as well as financial drain to get Ol' Boots
back home.
    We got our first rain since July 4th. It thundered about 2 inches last
night, and freckled the dust. Got up with Boots at 5 AM today, to witness
another freckling rain.
    We're losing 4 more Western Loblolly Pines from the drought. Two small
ones about 12 ft. and two about 20 ft. The State Forest Service told me that
Western Loblolly Pines are drought resistant. I hope it rains soon.
Irragation is out of the question, what with 4 acres of scattered Pines and
the water restrictions.
    Also, no fall garden. I sure was wanting to get my garlic planted. I had
intended to plant my 1015's a month early, too. It is 96*F here today. I do
love the cooler mornings. I compared the midnight temperatures of last night
with those of a month ago. Last night was 33* cooler!!
    George, I hope those grandsons are going to be ok. The one with the 116
stitches has more than I have accumulated in 50 years, with two helicopter
crashes, a couple of refinery explosions, and one 25 ft. free fall from a
ladder. I do have more screws and rods than he does. Tell him not to catch
up with me on that!
    I too, wish those who suffered from the storms, a speedy recovery. Been
there and done that, definitely not fun.
Allen
Bastrop Co.
SE Central Tx.