Re: [gardeners] Re: Iris Maintenance / Weeds

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 03 Oct 1999 07:58:05 -0600

At 09:45 PM 10/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I cut mine back after they have yellowed also.  Once they have yellowed or
>withered they aren't of use to the plant.  When the tips die back I just
>trim to the healthy looking green area.
>
>As for weeds----
>I don't like to use chemicals so have been wondering about the pre-emergence
>that is made from corn.  Has anyone tried it?  If so does it work?
>
>Martha
>M Brown
>NW Oklahoma, USA
>USDA Zone 6b,  Sunset Zone 35

Good idea. The corn only prevents germination of seeds, so it wouldn't
prevent the emergence of perennial weeds or those that travel by rhizome.
Grasses are a pain in the bonky in my iris bed. Corn gluten meal, as I
understand it, actually permits seeds to germinate, but prevents them from
setting secondary roots, so the seedling dies. I think you're in a rural
area, Martha, you ought to be able to get it from a feed store. Margaret L